Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tuesday, July 10th - port 'installed'

Anticipation....no matter how much you think it shouldn't bother you...it does...and once it's over...what a relief!!

Just the thought of having to go to the hospital and even knowing what they are going to do....isn't a pleasant feeling. Between Newton and Sloan - the 'sounds' and 'smell' are different. Being in Newton brought back memories of when my Mom was in the emergency room - with the 'beeping' of the monitors. I think they are all the same - but this hospital sounded different...or maybe it was just a flash back memory.

We left here (Charlie and I), at 10:35 to get there at 11....checked in....then went to the outpatient area....Dr. O'Brien was running ahead of time! Which is funny....the nurses know and I - as using him more than several times....that he is never early. But today he was! I was scheduled for surgery at 1 and they took me at 12:15! Left the hospital at 2 ish...

It was so nice to drive less than one half hour to get to the hospital in Newton rather than driving and parking the car and taking over 2 hours to get to NYC....and being home so early too...no traffic!!!

They gave me a choice of fluids: apple juice, soda, or water...I opted for the apple juice...boy did that taste good going down! Came home and made pizza (for one). Charlie and Paul went food shopping. I checked what they bought when they came home....of course - they did a great job but...they did forget a few items...I have a tendency to over buy...so I still have 'some' stuff that I originally wanted...sale items....oh well....next week I'll get them and re-stock!

The 'new' installed port is a little uncomfortable....although I may take a pain pill...it's really not that bad - just when I get up and down ---guess I'm moving the muscles in my upper chest when I move....I will probably sleep on one of our recliner chairs tonight too. It maybe a little more comfortable than trying to lay on my back or right side or even getting up out of bed during the night - to do my thing....(my old lady thing: getting up to use the bathroom!)

Tomorrow Charlie is coming with me for my first chemo - last one was way back in January! I can go alone but I told Charlie if he has any questions - this is the time to ask!

The waiting game begins - again!

No comments:

Post a Comment