Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tuesday, October 15th

They have support groups...but I heard if you go to them you come back depressed! Hearing how awful they feel....blogging - is perfect for me! One way conversation!!! But I do get a lot of positive responses from all of you!!!


Monday, Oct. 14th = went for PET scan at 2 pm. I had to make sure I ate something at 8 am as you must fast at least six (6) hours before the test. I mentioned to the technician that I had an appointment at 10 am with the doctor and they really needed the results of this test.

Tuesday, Oct. 15th = met with the radiologist doctor and nurses....felt like I was beginning all over again with answering ALL the questions. Even though they are part of the Cancer Center - they do not share their records with each other.

Radiology department is quick!!! Scheduled appt. was for 10 and I was in the office within a few minutes....if I didn't have to meet with the nurse (giving her ALL my past history along with family history), I would have been done a lot sooner. The doctor's name is (I may spell is incorrectly) Dr. Kaucher...very young man (at least he looks it)....but very nice! He explained everything to me.

I go back on Thursday, the 17th....to be 'fitted' for radiation. They make some kind of 'cast' then 'tattoo' you so they can line up the machine. This appt. should take about one (1) hour and they also do a CT scan - no need for the drink or the contrast (which is a great thing!!!).

Dr. Kaucher feels that I should begin radiation next Wednesday (the 23rd) for 6 weeks. I was hoping for 5 - not wanting 7 - so I got 6!

With radiation your not suppose to 'shave' or use regular deodorant (ugh) 6 weeks without shaving?!! I've only gone 3 days - even though I just pick up the razor and shave - I don't know how much 'hair' I have there!

I will also be taking one chemo pill - Xeloda while doing the radiation. A total of 4 pills a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night).

I asked if I could take supplements, if I go back to the muscle testing doctor or kinesiologist and the oncologist nurse suggested 'no'...they don't know if any supplements will interfere with the chemo/radiation....they highly suggest not taking anything other than what they already know works.

In between, waiting for the scan results I went to get a copy of my bloodwork from last Thursday. No sugar...well, my glucose is still on the high side (not too high but I really thought it would have been a lot lower); my potassium is low (not too low to take a pill suppliment) but thinking that eating all these avocado's and every once in a while a banana = didn't work!!! What got my heart rate beating faster was the number of the CEA...not seeing the scan report but seeing this number really got me nervous!! My CEA in June was 89.9; August was 163.0; and now (Oct.) it's 240.0!!! the results of my PET scan - stable!!! Which is terrific news!!!

Impression of the PET scan reads:
1. Three areas of uptake within the lung and two within the liver appear stable when compared to the previous study.
2. Several additional pulmonary nodules are seen within the lungs unchanged from previous study. They are too small to be evaluated on the PET portion of the scan.


No comments:

Post a Comment