Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday, September 27th

I went to Sparta Cancer Center to have my port flushed (this should be done if the port is not accessed for chemo and should be done between 4 to 6 weeks)...it's flushed with a saline solution.

I spoke with Dr. May afterwards and told her my experience at Sloan and the lovely Dr. Kemeny.  She laughed and said she was sorry but she had a feeling she may not have any bed side manners!!!  Anyway, I told her what was suggested = chemo and the pump put in....Dr. May said the same thing as we did this last time...why do chemo AND the pump....do one or the other.  She also said there is a new drug and something I should think about.  I still have to 'look it up' but I think I remember seeing it on the Sloan site.  One of the side effects could be 'bleeding'...I think it's internal, gastro...something....but don't quote me here....I still have to look it up.   But she also said that because I get these symptoms that I find hard to bear that if we do chemo again we don't necessarily have to do it every other week - all the time.  We maybe able to skip a week here or there and then maybe even take a break.

I'm feeling a bit more positive about this.  When I first heard about the pump, I was excited and ready to do it...but finding two 'new' lesions in my lungs - I knew chemo only, was the way to go for me....now hearing about it - again - I'll find anything to be negative about it....winter is coming and to travel back and forth to the city - you never know...even with going to Sparta - but that is so much closer.

I think I'll just take off the month of October and most likely start in November.....

Oh, Dr. May also said I should 'report' her to the hospital....AND Dr. Halabe (spell??) said that she was NOT the woman that founded this pump.  A doctor in Indiana did...so she 'stole' his research....well, not really...she just jumped right on it!!!!  No wonder why she's so mean!  She has skeletons in her closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment