Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tuesday, August 6, 2013.......BIG winner of MY health lottery!!!!

Had my appointment today to see Dr. May to discuss 'my journey'.....I definetly have breast cancer and it's not associated with colon cancer. Her suggestion is to have a mastectomy right away so we can proceed with the chemo treatment....PILL form!!! The only good thing about this! < > I now have an appointment with one of the Top Surgeons in NJ (in Sparta) on Monday. Dr. O'Shea whom also did my biopsy. I'm sure she will discuss what the procedure will entale....one question I would have = would I be able to have re-construction surgery the same day/time as the mastectomy. I think I'd have a hard time when I showered if nothing was done. < > I really never read up about breast cancer...there are so many different types and all treated a little differently. Here is 'some' information that was on the pathology report....< >I have - Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and , > Estrogen receptor: Positive, 99.7% - Progesterone receptor: Positive, 99.39% - HER2 Marker: Negative, Score 0 - KI-67: Unfavorable, 83.21% -and Additional immunohistochemical stains: Focally positive: CK7 - Negative: CK20, CDX2 < > I will be taking chemo via a PILL....no loss of hair, maybe thinning....and other side effects along with it...I won't have to sit in the infusion room for 5 hours but I will have to go weekly for blood work....and she will watch me close and I'll have a scan in 6 months to see if my body is accepting this chemotherapy treatment. Amazing that chemo is available in pill form for both cancer's! < > I had blood work drawn today and hopefully the insurance company will agree to doing a 'gene' test....for my kids and relatives. Dr. May says they (relatives) should relay to their doctors that colon and breast cancer runs in our family -- see, I'll go down in history with my family health!!!! < > I will update next Monday, the 12th - to let you know what is 'next' on my bumpy road! < > I still believe in miracles! and I also know that God has His plan for me! < > Thank you all, again, for your continued support and prayers! < > Love to all! <<< >>> I just looked at the 'preview' of my blog and there are no paragraphs! I'll put in a 'symbol' for a new paragraph...(< - >)

1 comment:

  1. I have forgotten all the terms, but I think mine was DCIS -- ductal cancer in situ. How wonderful the chemo is in pill form now! It's amazing the progress they make each year!

    Unfortunately, you will not be able to have reconstruction at the same time. You will be sent home with a drain, and there will be swelling, which must subside before recon surgery. Also, some of my friends who have had the surgery say that a stretcher must be inserted to make way for the implant.

    My advice for the drain -- wear a necklace (a solid choker is good) that you can hang the drain from while you shower (the rest of the time it is pinned inside your clothes. There is also a pillow similar to the boppy's that nursing mothers use, that is helpful to find a comfortable sleeping position. Stan helped to change the dressing each day, so all in all, not too bad. Also the fluid must be clear and fewer than a certain amount of cc's before the drain can be removed -- I think it was 2 weeks.

    We will be praying for you, because we serve a loving, all powerful heavenly Father!
    Catherine Woodcock

    ReplyDelete